Use these tips to make this holiday season the best it can be, a season of less stress and more meaning for you and your family.
1. Take care of yourself by eating right. People tend to skip meals, eat on the run, and eat more sugar during the holidays. Manage stress by managing your health.
2. Give yourself permission to feel a mix of emotions during the holidays. Most people feel an ebb and flow of emotions throughout the year, but often more so during holidays because it is a season that evokes memories of the past.
3. It is okay to spend time taking care of yourself. When you do, you’ll be more apt to relax and enjoy the season. People have different levels of needs so pay attention to your own unique circumstances.
4. Give yourself permission to have more control in your life. You don’t have to say yes to every holiday invitation or request.
5. Time management is very important for reducing stress. For example, let some of your children or grandchildren prepare holiday meals, bake cookies or help decorate the house.
6. Share responsibilities. Ask for help. Delegate holiday tasks so you’re not overstressed with deadlines.
7. Don’t have unrealistic expectations about what you can and can’t do during the holidays. Give yourself credit for what you can do and recognize you’re not super human. When you do, you’ll have a more enjoyable holiday season.